Planning & Zoning Commission
About the Commission
Deputy City Administrator
4040 S. Berkeley Lake Rd.
Ph: (770) 368 9484 ext. 102
Monday - Thursday
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
The city has a Planning and Zoning Commission which is comprised of five commissioners each appointed to three-year, staggered terms. Each year the Planning and Zoning Commission elects a chairperson and vice-chairperson. Due to Berkeley Lake’s size, the Planning and Zoning Commission functions as both a planning commission and a board of zoning appeals, serving both a legislative and quasi-judicial function.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission serves a legislative function by reviewing and recommending certain zoning ordinance amendments, including requests for rezoning, for adoption by city council.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission serves a quasi-judicial function by reviewing and deciding variance requests. Variance decisions should be impartial and based on the evidence presented at the hearing.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission is also responsible for reviewing and making recommendations to the city council regarding approval of the comprehensive plan, proposed subdivisions, and applications for wireless communication facilities.
Commission Members & Staff
- Rodney Hammond, Chair - Term expires December 31, 2013
- Amy Waldheim - Term expires December 31, 2016
- Dan Huntington - Term expires December 31, 2014
- George Kaffezakis - Term expires December 31, 2013
- Jeff Cooper - Term expires December 31, 2014
The deputy city administrator serves as administrative support staff to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
The Planning and Zoning Commission meets the second Tuesday of each month, as necessary. In most cases, documents and public notices must be provided in advance of meetings. For more information, see the meeting and submission schedule